Bode School celebrates 100 years this week


Oct. 9 marks the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the present Bode school building. Due to COVID restrictions the celebration to mark this 100-year milestone had to be postponed. Plans are being made to offer school tours on the Saturday coinciding with Livermore Days in July 2021.

Oct. 9 marks the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the present Bode school building. The first school was built by Lars Gangestad in the late 1870s.
In the fall of 1956, the Bode, Ottosen, and Livermore school districts merged. The new district was named “Twin Rivers” since it was located between the east and west branches of the Des Moines River. The new school colors were black and gold, and the mascot was the “Pirate.” The high school program was located in Bode and the grade school programs were located in Livermore and Ottosen. In 1971, due to declining enrollment, the decision was made to close the Ottosen building, have one grade school at Livermore, and the junior high students at Bode.
Read more about the school's history in this week's Humboldt Independent. Any fond memories of Bode, TR, TRV and Bode Elementary schools may be sent to Geri Wheeler at P.O. Box 281, Bode, IA 50519. The remembrances will be posted at the Bode Public Library.

Rate this article: 
Average: 5 (1 vote)