Tuesday fire causes smoke and fire damage

Two Humboldt firefighters battle a blaze on the south side of a commercial building at 701 13th Street North Tuesday afternoon around 3:30 p.m. No one was injured in the fire and there was an unknown amount of damage. Humboldt Independent photo.

The Humboldt Fire Department responded to a building fire shortly before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, Jan. 5.
The location was the Romans 3:16 garage operated by Gabriel Sanders of Humboldt. The building, at 701 13th St. N. in Humboldt, was the former Yo’s Redemption Center.
When firefighters arrived at the scene there was a lot of white/gray smoke coming out of the service bay portion, according to Humboldt Fire Chief Jim Gronbach.
“We got it knocked down in a quick amount of time after the initial attack,” Gronbach said.
“Right now we are ventilating and making sure we’re not seeing any hot spots,” Gronbach reported from the scene shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday. After 20 minutes, no smoke was seen exiting the building.
Gronbach said two males were inside the garage area of the business and were removing a gas tank off a car and were pouring the gas into five-gallon buckets. One of the subjects lit a cigarette and that ignited a small amount of gas. Neither man was injured.
Business owner Sanders declined comment about the cause of the fire or potential damage to the property.
According to the Humboldt County Assessor’s commercial property page, the steel frame single-story building is 1,470 square feet. The building is owned by Gary L. and Lori J. Pedersen, the property report states. The building was constructed in 1978.
“There was some smoke and fire damage but I’m unsure of any structural damage at the present time,” Gronbach said Tuesday afternoon.
Read more about this story and others in the Humboldt Independent, your trusted source for local news and sports.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet