Severe weather of all varieties likely today and tonight

Three confirmed tornadoes were on the ground and caused damage in Humboldt County early in the evening hours of Tuesday, April 12, 2022. More severe weather is possible in the area today and tonight. File photo courtesy of the National Weather Service.

The National Weather Service in Des Moines has issued a tornado watch from now until 8 p.m. tonight for 70 of Iowa’s 99 counties.
The watch includes all of Humboldt County and the surrounding counties of Wright, Webster, Hamilton, Hancock and Winnebago. The watch area includes the northeast counties of Black Hawk and Bremer and much of south central and southeast Iowa.
The coverage area includes the towns of Humboldt, Belmond, Britt, Clarion, Eagle Grove, Fort Dodge and Webster City. It does not include the area towns of Pocahontas, West Bend, Emmetsburg or Algona.
The National Weather Service says, “this is a particularly dangerous situation. Strong, long-lived tornadoes may occur."
The National Weather Service says "numerous tornadoes are expected with a few intense tornadoes likely. Widespread large hail and isolated very large hail events of up to three-inches in diameter are likely. Widespread damaging wind gusts of 70 miles an hour are likely. Sustained winds of 45 miles an hour are likely."
The Service lists the probability of two or more tornadoes at greater than 95 percent and the probability of one or more strong EF2-EF5 tornadoes at 90 percent. The probability of one or more severe wind events is listed at 10 percent. The probability of 10 or more severe hail events is listed at 80 percent. The probability of one or more hail events of two inches or more is 60 percent. The probability of six or more combined several hail and wind events is 95 percent.
The severe summer-like weather could be followed by severe winter-like conditions that will last tonight into Saturday morning.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for north central Iowa
Winter weather is expected in far north Iowa tonight with rain changing to snow. The combination of snow and strong winds will make travel conditions difficult.
The winter weather advisory is from 11 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. on Saturday.
Counties included area Palo Alto, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Pocahontas, Humboldt, Wright and Franklin, including the cities of Emmetsburg, Garner, Britt, Kanawha, Mason City, Clear Lake, Pocahontas, Laurens, Rolfe, Fonda, Gilmore City, Humboldt, Eagle Grove, Clarion, Belmond and Hampton.
Total snow accumulations of up to two inches are expected with wind gusts up to 55 miles per hour. Travelers should be advised of slippery road conditions and blowing snow with reduced visibilities.
Gusty winds could bring down tree branches and visibilities in rural areas may be below one-quarter of a mile at times with blowing and falling snow.
Caution should be used while traveling, or avoid travel until after the storm clears.
For the latest travel conditions, check the Iowa 511 app, or dial 511.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet