• warning: Parameter 2 to ed_classified_link_alter() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/common.inc on line 2892.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ed_classified_link_alter() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/common.inc on line 2892.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ad_flash_adapi() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/module.inc on line 482.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ad_flash_adapi() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/module.inc on line 482.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ad_flash_adapi() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/module.inc on line 482.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ad_flash_adapi() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/module.inc on line 482.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to ad_flash_adapi() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/humboldt/www/www/includes/module.inc on line 482.

Community Foundation offers $96K to non-profits

Greg Darling (left), representing the Humboldt County Community Foundation, presented a check for $10,000 to Aaron Burnett, representing the city of Humboldt. The money will go towards a Humboldt County Veteran’s Memorial, which will be part of an overlook on the north side of the new Sumner Avenue Bridge. Humboldt Independent photo.

Last Wednesday night, the Humboldt County Community Foundation’s board of directors handed out checks totaling $96,515.50 for 21 different projects or causes. An additional $5,500 was awarded to the Humboldt County Food Pantry from the John and Geraldine Miller Fund for the Less Fortunate. The awards presentation was done in the meeting room at Rustix.
Andy Lemmenes, Foundation President, said the grant funds come from state gambling proceeds that are distributed to each county without a gambling establishment. Lemmenes said 75 percent of the funds must be given to various projects in the county each year. The remaining 25 percent goes into an endowment fund. Currently, that fund has $640,000 in it in Humboldt County. He said the public can give gifts to the endowment.
“It’s a way to make sure your gift goes to benefit Humboldt County,” Lemmenes said.
For a list of all the projects funded and photos of the recipients, pick up a copy of this week's Humboldt Independent, or subscribe by clicking on the link above. Digital or print editions are available for purchase through your computer.