Old stagecoach stop recognized with huge rock
McKnight’s Point, one of the first stagecoach stops in Humboldt County, is now marked with a seven foot wide by four foot high engraved rock thanks to the efforts of some local residents.
McKnight’s Point is located at the intersection with Highway 15 and County Road C-20 about three miles west of Ottosen.
“Several of us old timers started talking about getting something done to mark where McKnight’s Point was because it’s part of our history. It was a stagecoach stop between Fort Dodge and Emmetsburg,” Cletis Hundertmark, one of the organizers said. “That was four years ago that we started talking about it. Now several of those guys have passed on. We needed to get something there before all of us were gone.”
Hundertmark asked local historian Laurie Carlson to help with research and finding options for placement of the rock. They found Humboldt County Conservation owned about two acres of land on the northwest corner of the intersection of Highway 15 and County Road C-20. The Conservation Board approved the placement of a permanent marker at the site. The rock sits just back from the Iowa Department of Transportation right of way.
The appropriate rock was found at the Roy McCullough farm west of Humboldt. Alan Brandhoij of Bradgate moved the three-ton rock to McKnight’s Point this past spring. It was engraved over the summer with the year “1854” and “McKnight’s Point.” Assisting with the placement of the rock and landscaping around it were Laurie Carlson, Cletis Hundertmark, Alan Brandhoij, Paul Hundertmark, Blaine Thompson and Tom Bennett.
For more news on the history of the spot, read the full article in this week's Humboldt Independent, now available in full print and digital formats.