An approved pre-payment method for some Humboldt County drainage assessments as well as some new road surfaces for Humboldt County pavings were among the topics discussed and acted upon Monday, during the regular meeting of the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors.
After a few weeks of discussing the matter, the supervisors, acting as drainage district trustees for the county, approved resolution 2012-1217, regarding the pre-payment of impending assessments due to improvements and/or repairs within a drainage district.
The resolution imposes the following requirements for the pre-payment of drainage assessments:
• A written request shall be filed with the Humboldt County drainage clerk at the Humboldt County Auditor’s Office.
• Minimum pre-payment shall be $5,000 per landowner.
• Maximum pre-payment shall be 75 percent of the total cost per landowner as shown on the preliminary reclassification report.
• The pre-payment shall be made at least 30 days after the bid-letting for the project/repair/improvement, and may be made up until seven days before the levy is to take effect.
• Pre-payment shall go into a separate account held by the Humboldt County Treasurer for each drainage district.
Drainage Engineer Rick Hopper with Jacobson-Westergard and Associates, said the pre-payments will reduce the interest charged on projects, that could reduce overall costs of large projects for the drainage district by a sizeable amount.
Any questions may be directed to Drainage Clerk Trish Egli at the Humboldt County Auditor’s Office at 515-332-1571.